The latest Rays news and notes:
- The Rays hosted the Red Sox yesterday in a sold out and televised game at Port Charlotte. Matt Moore squared off against Clay Buchholz in his first spring start, and was hit pretty hard by the Boston bats. Moore allowed 4 earned runs and 3 walks in just 2.1 innings pitched, setting the tone for the 8-4 loss. Some notable Rays performances included Kyle Farnsworth (one scoreless inning of work), Evan Longoria (2-3 with a home run), Desmond Jennings (two hits), Luke Scott (1-4 with an RBI), and Jose Molina (RBI single). Click here for a full boxscore.
- The Rays have an off-day today, so next up is the Florida Marlins in Jupiter Tuesday.
- The Rays apparently have a new catchphrase for the 2012 season. Joe Maddon came up with ‘MoRmentum’, which means ‘more momentum’. Maddon says momentum will be a key factor to the Rays’ success this year.
- The Rays made their latest round of cuts yesterday, optioning five more players down to the minors. Among Sunday’s cuts were Tim Beckham, Matt Bush, Dane De La Rosa, Brandon Guyer, and Steven Vogt.
- Rays beat writer Bill Chastain writes about reliever Jake McGee in his recent MLB.com article.
- Bill Madden of New York Daily News praises the Rays’ rotation, claiming it’s the deepest staff in all of baseball.