As the contract tender deadline passed Friday night, the Rays had two rather tough decisions to make in whether to tender OF Ben Francisco’s and INF Ryan Roberts’ contracts. Of the eight eligible Rays at the deadline, Francisco was the only one to be non-tendered.
Roberts—who is expected to make around $3 million in 2013—will head to arbitration along with a group of five other Rays which includes David Price, Jeff Niemann, Sam Fuld, Matt Joyce and Sean Rodriguez.
The Rays continued their busy weekend Saturday, making their first trade of the offseason. Tampa swapped reliever Burke Badenhop with Brewers minor league prospect OF Raul Mondesi Jr.
Badenhop posted a 3.03 ERA through 62.1 IP in the Rays’ bullpen in 2012.
More Rays News and Notes:
- Here’s the the link to MLBTradeRumors.com’s Projected Arbitration Salaries.
- Also over at MLBTR, a list of all the AL non-tenders. The list includes slugging 1B/3B/DH Mark Reynolds, which already has many speculating that the Rays may very possibly pursue him. Reynolds batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 homers and 69 RBI with the Orioles this season.
- According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Rays are open to dealing David Price for the right offer right now as a trade seems ‘inevitable’. Olney also notes that executives around the league believe he will be traded in the next year and that Tampa Bay is not close to signing an extension with him. The Price trade rumors have heated up recently as insiders such as Olney point out the fact that Rays are probably not going to be able to afford re-signing the Cy Young award-winner when he becomes a free agent in 2015.
- MLBDailyDish.com has more on the topic.
- The Pirates signed Russell Martin to a two-year deal.